Friday, November 1, 2019

Marketplace of Ideas


We discussed what Eight Values of Free Expression is in class, and me and my partner thought Marketplace of ideas is the most important and inspirational one. From the blog our professor posted, “this value was first suggested by Milton, who first said that when truth and falsehood are allowed to freely grapple, truth will win out. And the grappling makes the truth even stronger. His argument against requiring a license to print/publish.”



When I first learned this statement, I tried to pick a mistake from it, that is, the truth will not always win in my opinion. When I learned that this passage should be interpreted based on freedom of the press, I could see what Milton wanted to convey. If the repressed speech is correct, not only is it obvious that the political rights of the oppressed are being trampled on, but the oppressor is also deprived of the opportunity to exchange error for truth; if the repressed speech or thought is wrong, this also means that everyone also loses the opportunity to make truth and error more visible in open contests. So the media should be able to make "wrong" statements, because the truth will become more meaningful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Internet Privacy

Social accounts, like the masks I mentioned in my previous blog, can be used to cover up your unethical behavior on the Internet. In China,...